Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bel and Beast, part 1

He was talking to a banana again. It was pretty bad today but they were low on medicine. He would have to take the rest of it today. She measured the putrid liquid and mixed it into his juice. He always drank all of his juice.

"Bel, what is that you have there?" He asked her in a confused tone. She smiled softly looking down on his bald head and stooped figure.

“Your juice, father. Here make sure you drink it all.” She replied softly and helped the cup to his lips. He slurped it down and smacked his lips.

“Jasmy, she looks just like you, she is so beautiful.” He said to a nearby chair. Bel steered him away to his bed in the corner.

“This is a wonderful bed, are you sure I can sleep here? The Queen won’t hang me for taking her bed, will she?” he mumbled on as Bel helped him under the silk sheets and onto the feather down mattress.

“No, the Queen wishes you comfort. She won’t harm you. Rest now and sleep easy.” She murmured softly and kissed his forehead. He drifted off immediately and Bel set to braiding her dark hair as Melissa came back with groceries.

“He’s sleeping?” She whispered and set her basket on the table. Bel gave a curt nod and stripped off her blue apron and dress. She opened a chest in a niche where no light touched. She pulled out leather armor and breeches of deerskin.

“You must go again so soon?” Mel asked picking the dress up off the floor and folding it. He blue eyes shined with worry as Bel’s brown eyes never did.

“Yes, that was the last of his medicine. We don’t have anything much of value to sell so I’ll have to scavenge from some ruins again.”

“I thought you wouldn’t have to go away again, you brought so much back last time.” She pleaded, almost wringing the dress in her hands. Bel sighed as she buckled the leather breast-plate.

“You know it costs so much already but if I hadn’t had to be treated maybe I wouldn’t have had to go again so soon.” Her eyes blazed as she laced the boots around her ankles.

“But we have many other things we could sell…” Mel cast a glance back at the sleeping wilted figure the the extravagant bed. It filled a whole corner of the homely hut by itself.

“I won’t sell anything that gives him any sort of comfort.” Bel stated in a hard voice and a cutting glance. “And if you’ve any sort of mind under that frizzy red hair of yours you will not sell anything I tell you not to sell.”

Mel bowed her head in silence, tears falling from her eyes and down a too young face. Bel made a face and sighed. Bel rose and loped over to her sister.

“I know it’s hard for you. You’re really too young for this. That’s why I go and you stay. I swear to come back to you and father.” Mel’s tears ran fast and hot now.

“No! That’s what they said before they didn’t come back too.” Mel sobbed quietly and Bel stroked her curly red hair.

“I know. We can’t lose anyone else. I will come back. Even if I’m mortally wounded I’ll be here before I die.” She held her younger sister for a moment longer, and then broke away.

“Time is short. I’ll be back as soon as I can. If you have to get more soon then sell some of my things.”

“But-”

“You know I don’t wear jewelry. Sell anything that isn’t precious to me.” Bel commanded and kissed her sister.

“I’ll return dear heart. Be strong for me, I beg.” Bel darted out of the door and Mel started crying again.

"Please come back to us Bellatrix." She whispered to the afternoon sun.

* * * * *

This is the first part of a many part collection, or rather a longer story broken into smaller blogg-sized pieces. This was a particularly fun one to start. I got the idea from one of Jared Axelrod's episode of The Voice of Free Planet X where he features many short stories and tidbits that are quite exquisite.

Obviously I am a great fan of short story oriented podcasts and like to inform anyone of them at every chance I get. Jared does a great job with not only the content but with his stories and musings as well. It's a great pleasure listening to him daily.

No comments: